Pages

Friday, May 13, 2011

Loss

I have to be honest; I’m having a really hard time dealing with loss today. I’m feeling a great sense of loss over something that was very close to my heart – my latest blog post. While I say that a little tongue-in-cheek; I also really kind of mean it. Anything I put time and effort into I feel a little emotionally attached to; especially something I sat down to dig into my thoughts and past to create. So, I was a little saddened – ok a lot saddened – when I found out that blogger (due to a technical issue) lost my and several other peoples most recent posts.

I then proceeded to spend the entire morning looking for ways to retrieve my post. I wonder if the post is in Feed burner or maybe I have it in e-mail somewhere. How do you contact support for Blogger to yell at them and let them know they lost a little piece of your soul? Well, none of my methods worked and my blog is still gone – off into the ether – likely never to be found. I know, had I only started my posts in a word document; save them; and then posted them - I would be fine right now. 

Having wasted my morning in search for that which no longer existed, I started thinking about all the other losses I have experienced in my business life. I have lost employees from time to time; I have lost money; I have lost time; and I have almost lost my mind now and again. So, what has all this loss gained me over the years? Experience.

It is perhaps the most valuable thing I have as an entrepreneur and especially as a business consultant. The experience of my losses has given me the ability to be a great asset to my clients. It’s those experiences that I lean on when giving someone advice or even just a shoulder to complain on from time to time. Each loss has come with its own priceless lesson – a lesson that has helped me make better decisions. It really is a messy world out there full of pitfalls and opportunities to make mistakes and experience loss.

So, what’s the big lesson from losing my post? Well, I guess its best put as learning to count my losses as gain. While it’s never easy to lose; sometimes it’s the best way to gain perspective and new understanding. Sometimes, it’s the only way to grow as a person and an entrepreneur.

Until next time, focus on what you know and keep doing a better job of what you love to do.

PS: I would love to hear your story of loss and the lesson you learned!

No comments:

Post a Comment